A true enthusiast.
This is one of my favorite scenes from Stanley Kubrick’s 2001 A Space Odyssey
- The Pearl Harbor Naval Base in Hawaii was attacked by Japanese fighter planes on December 7th, 1941. The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in an attempt to prevent the United States’ Pacific fleet from interfering in their planned invasions into Southeast Asia.
- The United States of America declared war on Japan soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- The assault on Pearl harbor lasted for more than 2 hours destroying 188 airplanes and killing 2,402 American soldiers with another 1,282 servicemen wounded. Around five battleships were sunk damaging several dozens of other vessels.
- Around 60 civilians were also killed in the attacked leaving 30 wounded.
- The Pearl Harbor attack led the United States of America to declare war on Japan and enter into World War II.
- The Japanese fighter planes hit Pearl Harbor around 7:55 a.m. Â and the bombing lasted till 9:45 a.m. killing more than 60 Japanese men.
- The plan for the attacks on Pearl Harbor was initiated by Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto and executed by Commander Minoru Genda.
- The code name used for the attack on Pearl Harbor was Operation Z.’
- The reason for choosing the attack on a Sunday morning was because the Japanese felt that Americans would be less alert on a weekend. Many U.S. servicemen were having their morning breakfast when the Japanese aircraft hit the U.S. Naval base.
- The U.S. Government declared war on Japan on December 8, 1941.