How many of these do you know? The ones I knew before finding this list are shown in red text.
- In Latin, the walrus’s scientific name means “tooth-walking sea-horse.” It got its name because when it pulls itself onto the ice, it looks like it’s walking on its tusks.
- Experts at Intel say that micro processor speeds will double every year and a half for at least the next decade.
- There is only one muscle in your entire body attached at only one end. Your tongue.
- No one knows why, but a duck’s quack does not echo.
- Americans only make up about 5% of the world’s population, but they are responsible for 15% of the world’s garbage.
- Dr. Seuss pronounced his name in such a way that it rhymed with “rejoice.”
- If a bird eats Alka-Seltzer, its stomach will explode.
- Camels have three eyelids on each eye to keep the sand out.
- On every continent, you will find a city called Rome.
- More people are killed by donkeys each year than by plane crashes.
- More than half of all the world’s cheeses originated in France.
- Switzerland has a square flag. It’s the only country on earth that does.
- More people in Illinois have vanity plates than in any other state.
- There are roughly 1 million ants for every person on the planet.
- But… the chicken to human ration is 1:1.
- Giraffes can go longer without water than camels can.
- To calculate the temperature outside (Fahrenheit), count the number of cricket chirps in 15 seconds. Add 37 to the total. It’ll be pretty dang close.
- Butterflies taste buds are on their hind feet.
- About one third of all cancers are sun-related.
- One in every eight Americans has worked at a McDonald’s in their lifetime.
- Priorities? Children laugh on average 300 times/day. Adults only 17 times/day.
- The first novel written on a Typewriter was “Tom Sawyer.”
- Careful there! 11,000 Americans each year injure themselves trying out bizarre sexual positions.
- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
- The world record for a chicken flying… 13 seconds.
- In Aspen, Colorado, you qualify for government subsidized housing all the way until you make $104,000.
- Every nation in the world whose name begins with A, also ends with A. Except for Afghanistan.
- Apparently non-dairy creamer is flammable.
- The average person eats 35,000 cookies in their lifetime.
- You think 11,000 sexual position injuries is bad? 40,000 Americans are injured by their toilets each year.
- There is no rubix cube combination that can’t be solved in 17 turns.
- The statue of liberty has a name. Her name is Mother of Exiles.
- There is a town in Newfoundland called Dildo.
- On average, 2-3 horse jockeys are killed each year racing.
- The average woman uses about 6 lbs. of lipstick or lip gloss in her lifetime.
- Mother of Mike Nesmith (guitarist for The Monkeys) invented White Out.
- Mozart wrote the nursery rhyme “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.” When he was five.
- The first contraceptive ever used was crocodile dung by the ancient Egyptians.
- Kelsey Grammar is the singer and piano player for the theme song of Frasier.
- Almonds are part of the peach family.
- All continents start and end with the same letter.
- Alfred Hitchcock didn’t have a belly button. They removed it during an abdominal surgery.
- Donald Duck has a middle name, Fauntleroy.
- The national anthem of Greece has 158 verses. Have fun with that, Greece.
- Horses can look forward with one eye and backwards with the other.
- Walt Disney was afraid of mice.
- Not the *greatest* of odds: Only 1 in two billion people will live to be 116 or older.
- Careful with those necklaces. Pearls melt in vinegar.
- A family of 26 could go to the movies in Mexico City for the price of one ticket in Tokyo.
- Most American cars honk in the key of F.