I grew up in Southern California in the town of Sherman Oaks.
- When I was a kid we had an area code, but didn’t use it!!!
- A lot of my clothes came from Sears or J C Penneys.
- If you had a pool you were KING of the block. None of our friends had one so we walked to the public pool about a mile from home.
- Eating out at a restaurant was a huge deal that only happened for special occasions if that.
- Fast food was leftovers at home.
- Eating popsicles was a treat on a hot day.
- We had the ice cream truck and you only needed $1.00 or less.
- School was mandatory!!. If no one was home after school, you just walked in because the front door was rarely locked.
- Nobody paid for daycare.
- We ate dinner at the table.
- Our house phone was always being used.
- We played 1-2-3 Not It, Red Light Green Light, Hide & Seek, Truth or Dare, Tag, Kick Ball, Dodge Ball, red rover, and Capture the Flag.
- We rode our bikes everywhere with no fear.
- Girls and Boys played in the street or the yard, but not in the house.
- We came home when it was dark.
- Children were seen and not heard.
- Staying in the house was a punishment and the only thing we knew about being “bored” was your Mom’s declaration that “You better find something to do before I find it for you!”
- We ate what mom made for dinner or we ate nothing at all.
- There was no bottled water; we drank from the tap or the water hose because there was no coming in and out of the house.
- We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings and rode our bikes for hours. We ran around the neighborhood until dark and came in before Mom had to find us.
- We were AFRAID OF NOTHING MUCH.
- We watched our MOUTHS around our elders because our PARENTS WOULD WHOOP OUR BUTTS!!!
These were the good old days.
Kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid, they will never understand my childhood!!
I loved being a kid before the internet before we were forced to deal with Political Correctness and ultimately the Woke movement!!