Watchdog group Open the Books says abandoned U.S. weaponry, vehicles, planes will fall into the hands of the Taliban.
The U.S. military is leaving behind 75,000 vehicles, 600,000 weapons, and 208 airplanes/helicopters in Afghanistan as the Taliban takes control of the country, according to the watchdog group Open the Books.
“We’ve made the Taliban into a major U.S. arms dealer for the next decade,” said Adam Andrzejewski, CEO & founder of Open the Books. “They now control 75,000 military vehicles. This is about 50,000 tactical vehicles, 20,000 Humvees they control about 1,000 mine-resistant vehicles, and even about 150 armored personnel carriers.”
In total, the U.S. government spent an estimated $83 billion of taxpayer funds on weapons, vehicles, and airplanes for the Afghan military.
The Biden administration said recently that a “fair amount” of weaponry would land in the hands of the Taliban but it didn’t have an exact number.
Andrzejewski said his organization “found a Federal Audit that detailed up to $200 million worth of drones that had disappeared,” adding that “we don’t know where 600,000 weapons are within the country.”
The Taliban also reportedly has access to biometrics data of Afghans that helped U.S. forces during the war.
Below is a high-level graphic of what has been left behind by the U.S
Below is a more detailed listing of what has been left behind by the U.S:
- 2,000 Armored Vehicles Including Humvees and MRAP’s
- 75,989 Total Vehicles: FMTV, M35, Ford Rangers, Ford F350, Ford Vans, Toyota Pickups, Armored Security Vehicles etc
- 45 UH-60 Blachhawk Helicopters
- 50 MD530G Scout Attack Choppers
- ScanEagle Military Drones
- 30 Military Version Cessnas
- 4 C-130’s
- 29 Brazilian-made A-29 Super Tucano Ground Attack Aircraft, 208+ Aircraft Total!!
- At least 600,000+ Small arms M16, M249 SAWs, M24 Sniper Systems, 50 Calibers, 1,394 M203 Grenade Launchers, M134 Mini Gun, 20mm Gatling Guns and Ammunition
- 61,000 M203 Rounds
- 20,040 Grenades
- Mortars +1,000’s of Rounds
- 162,000 pieces of Encrypted Military Communications Gear
- 16,000+ Night Vision Goggles
- -Newest Technology Night Vision Scopes
- Thermal Scopes and Thermal Mono Googles
- 10,000 2.75 inch Air to Ground Rockets
- Reconnaissance Equipment (ISR)
- Laser Aiming Units
- Explosives Ordnance C-4, Semtex, Detonators, Shaped Charges, Thermite, Incendiaries, AP/API/APIT
- 2,520 Bombs
- Administration Encrypted Cell Phones and Laptops ALL operational
- Pallets with Millions of Dollars in US Currency
- Millions of Rounds of Ammunition including but not limited to 20,150,600 rounds of 7.62mm, 9,000,000 rounds of 50.caliber
- Large Stockpile of Plate Carriers and Body Armor
- US Military HIIDE, for Handheld Interagency Identity Detection Equipment Biometrics
- Lots of Heavy Equipment Including Bull Dozers, Backhoes, Dump Trucks, Excavators